Inspired by Jason Tate’s blog post, I decided to list my 50 favorite records from the past fifteen years. They are listed in alphabetical order.
+44 – When Your Heart Stops Beating
Against Me! – Transgender Dysphoria Blues
AFI – Sing the Sorrow
Amy Winehouse – Back to Black
Antony and the Johnsons – I Am a Bird Now
At the Drive-In – Relationship of Command
Badly Drawn Boy – The Hour of Bewilderbeast
blink-182 – blink-182
blink-182 – Take Off Your Pants and Jacket
Bloc Party – Silent Alarm
Bon Iver – For Emma, Forever Ago
Box Car Racer – Box Car Racer
Brand New – Deja Entendu
Brand New – The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
Circa Survive – Blue Sky Noise
Circa Survive – Juturna
Coheed and Cambria – In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3
Damien Rice – O
Death Cab for Cutie – Transatlanticism
Fleet Foxes – Fleet Foxes
From First to Last – Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has a Bodycount
Grizzly Bear – Veckatimest
The Hotelier – Home, Like Noplace Is There
Jimmy Eat World – Futures
Julien Baker – Sprained Ankle
kent – Röd
Laleh – Laleh
Lars Winnerbäck – Söndermarken
Lars Winnerbäck – Vatten under broarna
The Lawrence Arms – Cocktails & Dreams
Linkin Park – Hybrid Theory (and Reanimation. This is not cheating; they simply belong together!)
Manchester Orchestra – I’m Like a Virgin Losing a Child
The Mars Volta – De-Loused in the Comatorium
Meleeh – Heartland
Pianos Become the Teeth – Old Pride
Pianos Become the Teeth – The Lack Long After
Säkert! – Facit
Säkert! – Säkert!
Taking Back Sunday – Tell All Your Friends
Taking Back Sunday – Where You Want to Be
Thrice – The Illusion of Safety
Thursday – Full Collapse
Tiger Lou – Is My Head Still On?
Tiger Lou – The Loyal
The Twilight Sad – Fourteen Autumns & Fifteen Winters
Underoath – Define the Great Line
Underoath – Lost In the Sound of Separation
The Used – The Used
The Velvet Teen – Cum Laude!
We Were Promised Jetpacks – These Four Walls
… and as a bonus, here are the ten best EP:s from 2000-2015 (also in alphabetical order):
Circa Survive – Appendage
Hospitalet – sfh 1
Idiot Wind – Idiot Wind EP
The Japanese House – Pools to Bathe In
kent – The Hjärta & smärta EP
Novo Amor – Woodgate, NY
Real Friends – Everyone That Dragged You Here
Saosin – Translating the Name
Silvana Imam – Jag dör för dig and När du ser mig • Se dig (consider them one and they get twice as good)
State Faults – Head In the Clouds
Some thoughts on making the list:
- I spent weeks contemplating this list. I wrote the first 25 records or so off the top of my head while the rest took quite a while to decide upon. I had to listen to some records a few times before making my mind up. Spending all that time probably only made things harder because even more great albums constantly came to mind.
- In many cases I’ve chosen two releases by a band or an artist. I find that a bit interesting.
- blink-182 members clearly mean a lot to me. They’re represented in no less than four spots on the list. And so is Anthony Green.
- Deciding upon Have You Fed the Fish? or The Hour of Bewilderbeast by Badly Drawn Boy was particularly difficult. Eventually, I ended up with the latter because it’s an album that is all over the place in such an admirable way.
- The Shins should be on the list. I simply couldn’t decide upon a release, so I left them out.
- I’ve surprised myself a bit putting this list together. Some records or even bands ended up here even though I probably never would’ve guessed a while ago that I’d actually put them on a list like this. The fact that I even chose some of those releases over ones I initially listed is still a little weird to me. Head in the Clouds by State Fauls and De-Loused in the Comatorium by The Mars Volta are two of those.
- I recently left out: Biffy Clyro – Puzzle, kent – Du & jag döden, Bayside – Sirens and Condolences, Saves the Day – Stay What You Are, Eminem – The Marshall Mathers LP, Sum 41 – Does This Look Infected? and Thursday – War All the Time.